expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Tuesday 17 July 2018

24 HOURS WITHOUT SOCIAL MEDIA AND HERE'S WHAT I LEARNED

Over the weekend, I challenged myself to NOT go on my phone and on social media for 24 hours and guess what?


I DID IT!


Now, I know some of you are probably thinking "Gosh. What an easy challenge!" Well, for me, social media dominates most of my waking hours. See, I spend 7-8 hours sleeping and the rest of the day, I'd be blogging, researching, editing, working - basically everything that requires social media apart from having meals and going to the bathroom. 


But I sort of hit the limit last week when I felt like social media was damaging my life a little. That's why I decided to switch off for the weekend and I did that at the worst possible time because I was away on a retreat and I wanted to post pictures on Instagram and Facebook. 

Anyway, I didn't know what to expect because part of me loves social media and another part of me hates it. But anyway, I switched off my phone and here's my little 24-hour journey. 


1st - 3rd hour: 

I was itching to check my messages and emails just to see if there's anything urgent. I was also wondering if I had missed any major celebrity news whatsoever. 



4th - 5th hour:

Upon arriving the little treehouse retreat, I took some pictures on my camera and my phone and I wanted to post pictures badly. But I managed to stay offline and keep myself occupied by enjoying nature. 



6th hour onward:

I felt relieved more than anything else. It felt good not hearing any beeps from my phone. It was peaceful. That's when I realized - it only takes 6 to 7 hours to detach from social media and your phone. Yes, it is definitely possible. 



I do think it's healthy once in a while to take a social media break, detox from the online world and stay off your phone. It makes you see what matters and it makes you appreciate time a little bit more. We're so caught up on who's doing what, who's going where, who's got a bigger house, who's got a better job that we constantly compare our lives to the lives of others, which is the number ONE cause of depression, if you ask me. 

So, if you ever feel like you're stressed out mentally, switch off your phone, exercise, and take some quiet time to yourself. 



Challenge completed! If you didn't know, last month, my challenge was to not drink coffee for a month. (You can read the post here.) If you have any challenges in mind that you are too afraid to try or that you would like me to try, drop them in the comments and I'll document it for you :) Keep it clean, of course 
x


Here's a vlog from my weekend getaway: 


No comments:

Post a Comment