expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Tuesday 19 June 2018

I STOPPED DRINKING COFFEE FOR 1 MONTH AND HERE'S WHAT I LEARNED

On the 7th of May (last month), I made a conscious decision to cut back on coffee. Here something you should know about me. I need at least 4 cups of black coffee a day to function. On good days, probably just 3. On bad days, 5 or more. I realized that this was becoming an addiction and I needed to do something about it before I get completely hooked. 



I knew it was going to be difficult because they say it takes 21 days or more to get rid of a bad habit. But just like the clothes challenge I set myself at the beginning of the year, I knew I could do it. So, here's my journey. 



1st week (7 days) 

1) I felt uneasy the first few days, like something was missing. Like a part of me was missing. Friends around me were drinking coffee and the smell was just like a perfume I was addicted to, which made it even more difficult for me to resist. 

2) I felt tired most days because I kept telling myself that I haven't ingested any coffee. 

3) There were so many times when I just wanted to take ONE sip of coffee. 



2nd week (14 days)

1) I thought it would be easier the 2nd week but I was so wrong. It was so so difficult. 

2) Some nights, I would cry for no reason and ask myself is all of this worth it? What is the purpose of me doing this? Some ridiculous thoughts would just appear out of no where (which, I think is completely normal when you're trying to give up something).

3) My mood was all over the place. I snapped at people over trivial things and my tolerance level towards people deteriorated. 



3rd week (21 days) 

1) I started to focus all of my "coffee thoughts" on swimming, which is good because I've been meaning to start doing some form of exercise since the beginning of the year. 

2) The scent of coffee became bearable although it still sucked when I had to order diet Coke or water instead of black coffee in Starbucks or restaurants. 

3) I always drink coffee when I travel but when I was in Lombok recently with my uncle, I felt like I did not really need it. 



4th week (What I've Learned)

1) "Coffee thoughts" don't pop up everyday anymore. 

2) I could still function and live my day without coffee. 

3) My productivity is as good as when I have coffee. 

4) A lot of the times, we think we NEED coffee but that's not necessarily the case. 

5) I'm swimming and exercising more. 

6) Coffee is good but at a moderate amount. 

7) Coffee doesn't control my life. 

8) I saved some money from cutting coffee. 

9) My breath is not always smelling like a coffee machine anymore. 

10) Coffee actually helps with my digestive system and blood circulation.


1 hour ago (19th June), before writing this post, I've finally had my first cup of black coffee since the 7th of May. Yes, I've lasted that long but I do feel like coffee keeps me warm. I don't feel the urge or the need to drink anymore coffee today because I'm functioning perfectly fine. 




My friends, this was my experience and my journey. I hope this helps any of you who are trying to cut back on coffee or trying to cut coffee out of your life. It can be done :) 
x

No comments:

Post a Comment