expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Thursday 29 November 2018

Why do You Travel?

My close friends and family would know that ever since I was 12 years old, I started developing a fear of flying. Shocker, right? Considering I travel a lot.


Whenever people ask me "what's one of your biggest fears?", the first thing that pops into my head would be "fear of flying". Don't even ask me how I started developing this fear because you won't even believe it. 


At the beginning of this year, I did tell myself I wanted to travel more - every month, if I'm being precise. This wasn't something I woke up to one day and decided to do. No. I did a couple of trips last year and became quite obsessed with it. When I was back in the UK, I didn't have any chance at all of travelling. My life was always work, study, uni, work, study, uni.


I first had my wanderlust experience when I went to Phuket with my best friend. See, I didn't like travelling at all because of my fear of flying. But last year, after the trip, I realized how much I was missing out on. I then quickly fell in love with the idea of travelling. So I did do a lot of budgeting towards the end of last year in order to plan for my trips this year.

Now, I'm not one of those people who want to travel because so and so have been there. I don't travel because I feel left out. No. I travel for a few reasons. I made it a mission to travel more this year for a few reasons.



1. To conquer my fear of flying

If I'm being completely honest, it hasn't helped much. I still get the anxious feeling whenever I step into a plane. Whenever a plane shakes violently, many thoughts run through my head. I start remembering prayers from Sunday school. But I must say, the more I sit in a plane and travel, the more routined it becomes. And I sort of get immune to it. The plane shaking, the crying babies, different sorts of passengers you meet on every flight, etc... I am still afraid of flying but I'm immune to it and I won't let this fear stop me from travelling.


2. To explore 

Duh. Of course. However, I don't travel to expensive places, or else I would have been a broke ass bitch back in April. I know what I want before planning any trips. As much as it is dangerous being in a completely different country, it is also exciting - especially when you explore and experience how the locals live. You kind of get a taste of what it is being in someone else's shoes.


3. To get inspiration

I find myself in a constant state of mind blocks. One thing that has really helped me refocus and recharge is definitely travelling. Sometimes, I feel like I'm not doing enough. Sometimes, I feel like I want more in life. Then, I go away. I see locals in other countries smiling and laughing doing the simplest things, doing what they love and that immediately lights my soul up. You get inspired by just sitting in a local coffee shop, people-watching. Inspirations come from anywhere and everywhere when your mind is open.


4. Everything looks better when you're up in the sky

As much as I do not like flying, I have to admit this. Everytime I'm up in the air, I can't help but think: everything looks much better from this altitude. "You're on top of the world" kind of feeling. Something I can't quite explain. But you kind of realize how small the world is when you're in the air. The clouds, the sky, the weather, everything is the same except in a different country. Next time you're seated at a window seat, look out and you'll see what I mean. I don't know about you, but I could use the "I'm on top of the world" feeling once in a while.




These are the main reasons why I made it a priority to travel more this year. Travelling is a wonderful thing. You learn different languages, cultures. You also learn a little bit more about yourself each trip. There a plenty of reasons why people travel. What are yours? x 

No comments:

Post a Comment