expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Friday 1 July 2016

10 THINGS TO DO IN BALI

Hello my lovely people

As I have mentioned before in my previous posts, I've been to Bali lately for a little vacation with Trevor and his mum. I think the last time I visited Bali was probably back in 2002 when I was 12 years old. 

Damn. That was a long time ago. 

Today, my post is about things I've done in Bali for 8 days. Let me tell you, 8 days is quite enough there. I wouldn't say 8 days was too long or too short. It was just the right amount of time for me. However, I would strongly advice anyone of you planning to go there for a short trip to bring sunscreen with you. Loads and loads of sunscreen. 


So there's a place called Kuta and Ubud in Bali. I wouldn't say they're cities. They're more like towns and it's only a 2-hour drive from Kuta to Ubud. We visited both towns and I have summed up a list of things that you should definitely try out in both towns. 

5 THINGS TO DO IN KUTA: 

1) Kuta Beach


Honestly, one of the most beautiful beaches I've ever seen in my entire life. It is definitely up there with my top 3. As you walk in, you will find many tourists learning how to surf, locals doing hennas for tourists, souvenir booths, people sun-bathing, kids playing in the water. Perfect scenery. I even came here twice because once was not enough. Kuta Beach is a definite MUST. If you're like me and enjoy the beach a little too much, bring a book and a towel and just chill under a tree whilst listening to the waves. It might be a little warm but there will always be a nice, cool breeze constantly blowing into your hair. 



2) Hog Wild in Bali 


Oh my good ribs! I have to be honest with you guys. Living in the UK for 3 years, I thought you couldn't get better ribs anywhere else but in Britain. Oh how very wrong was I. So, I did a little research on where to go for food and the first place that popped up was this place. We decided, why not? We went there the first night in Kuta and even met some tourists from Australia. They said:"Everytime we visit Bali, we must come here. It's just too good! You made a right decision coming here." Obviously, we had high expectations after hearing that comment as we were waiting in line to get into the restaurant. I mean, the queue alone speaks for itself. It was so so good. If you're a vegan, I think they have a vegan/vegetarian menu for you too. 



3) Jimbaran Sunset Dinner 


Even if you're not a big fan of seafood like me, the whole experience of being there was definitely worth it! I have written a post about it (you can check it out here). It was just absolutely stunning. Something I will never ever forget. I mean, the view alone looks better than me in my graduation dress (lol. I'm just saying). But yes, no regrets at all - I promise you. Definitely coming back here again next time!



4) Poppies Restaurant 


OK. This appears to be 5 places to eat instead of 5 things to do. Haha. Anyway, this restaurant is one of the oldest restaurants in Bali. The place itself is quite hidden. We had to walk into an alley to find this restaurant. I didn't really do any particular research on this restaurant but I did came across it when I was on the trip advisor's website. It was probably listed as the 3rd or 4th best restaurants in Kuta. But after taking a stroll on Kuta beach that day, we decided to walk and get some souvenirs nearby and saw the sign "Poppies Restaurant - 5 minutes from here -----> " so I said to myself:"Why not?" Thank goodness I did. This was really a hidden gem!



5) Cream Puffs


I think everyone who reads my blog knows that I absolutely LOVE cream puffs (or any food for that matter). There's this place just opposite Hog Wild called "Poule de Luxe". Honestly, the caramel and vanilla cream puffs were to die for. Totally melts in your mouth. It's one of those desserts where you automatically close your eyes and make a weird sexual noise, followed by "oh my God. That's so good..." I mean, that's the only way I can describe it. A little pricey but it is cheaper if you get 6 cream puffs.



We decided we were not going to stay in Kuta for the full 8 days so we went to Ubud for 2 days. If you're after nature, peace, serenity, calmness, Ubud is the place for you. Honestly, the most relaxing town I've ever been in. It is 100% less busy than Kuta, meaning less cars and more nature. So, I have compiled a list of things to try out in Ubud too.

5 THINGS TO DO IN UBUD:

1) Villa


One piece of advice I'll give you is that if you are looking to save money, stay in a villa. Villas are 60% cheaper than hotels. We stayed in a private villa and we had our own private pool AND it only costs us £7.50 per night for TWO ROOMS! The room itself was comfortable. The only thing missing was a TV but then again, the whole point of it was to appreciate nature :)



2) Naughty Nuri's 


And again, I didn't do any research on this place. It was a recommendation from my mum and brother. I had no intentions on coming here because it was about 4 p.m when we arrived in Ubud and all I wanted to do was sleep. But we walked instead. After one and a half hours of walking WITHOUT GPS - mind you - we saw the sign "NURI'S Mexican Grill" and again, I said :"Why not?" The ribs were really really nice. I wanted to try the suckling pig (Babi Guling) but decided not to because I had enough meat in my system that day :/ 



3) Local Cafes (Warung) 


Like I said, Ubud is all about the nature. We had a Warung near our villa and we went there at night. It was really good - the atmosphere, the environment, the BINTANG BEER, of course. It's things like these I missed most when I was abroad. So, definitely try out the local cafes. They have some really amazing food. 



4) Sunrise 


Witnessed the sunset in Kuta, witnessed the sunrise in Ubud. Just perfect. I also wrote about witnessing the sunrise in a post (you can check it out here). It was so beautiful I almost didn't want to look away even when the sun had obviously risen. I'm normally not one to appreciate nature but for the past couple of months, I found out that little things like birds chirping, wind blowing, waves, sound of trees when the wind blows, made me a calmer person. So, witnessing a sunrise in such a natural environment made me feel so peaceful. Absolutely loved it!


5) Ubud Monkey Forest


Probably the highlight of my trip in Ubud. I'm sure most people have heard of the Monkey Forest. If you haven't, this is definitely a place you have to visit. Trevor enjoyed it so much. I did too but I kept fearing that a monkey would suddenly jump on me. At the end of the day, monkeys jumped on both Trevor and his mum, but not on me. Haha! His mum totally freaked out when that happened. Such a funny sight! But we really enjoyed ourselves very much. Definitely worth a visit! 




Hope you guys enjoyed this.


Happy Friday everyone! Thank you for reading! X