expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Wednesday 11 May 2016

Being a 24-year-old

"You get old and you realize there are no answers, just stories." - Garrison Keillor 




Today is officially 6 months since I turned 24. So I've actually decided to dedicate a post to being 24 years old. It's not a special age or anything but I just thought it would be interesting to share a few thoughts with you guys :)

I was taking a walk in the park the other day - just to clear my head and have a quick break from everything (as usual). As I was sitting on the grass and enjoying the sunlight, I closed my eyes.


I wanted time to stop. Just for a minute or two. Or an hour. Or a year. 


Closing your eyes and thinking about life can be a very dangerous thing to do. Because you can either be stronger and change yourself or you can dwell in your past and be miserable.


So there I was, thinking about every aspects of my life - all the memories, what I've been through....... Just everything.

And if I've learnt one thing from life experience, it is that age is no barrier. It's a limitation you put on your mind. Here are a few points I'd like to share with you today (sorry if I sound a bit like a teacher. "Here are some points"! LOL).


Note: When I say "you", I'm actually referring to myself. You get the idea. 


1) Growth


You figure yourself out more and more each year. You start getting in touch with yourself more often. You start knowing what you want in life. You start to realize how different your thinking is from when you were a teenager. I think this is just the process of growing up.


2) Independence


You start making decisions, life decisions - if I may say so, and deciding what's good and what's bad for yourself. You start learning about people, things, basically your surroundings. You make choices for yourself and along the way, you make mistakes and try to fix them yourself.


3) Goals


You start thinking about what you want to do with your life, now and in the future, and what goals you want to achieve. For me personally, I want to achieve something big and do extraordinary things. And I'm sure all of you do too!


4) Q&As


I'm going to be straight up honest with everyone now. This year is the year I questioned myself and what I'm doing the most. You get a little confused. You've graduated. You don't really know what to do next - whether to start working or explore the world (or whatever! That was just an example). And let me tell you, you will not have all the answers. In fact, I have NO answers from all my own questions right now. But I'm trying my best and learning new things everyday. That's what matters the most! Trying your best at everything.


5) Responsibilities


Since I'm slowly stepping into "adulthood", I am starting to take responsibilities for every action I make. Good or bad. Big or small. I'm responsible for my own happiness and my choices in life. I'm slowly learning to be the CEO of my life (trainee at the moment). But everything I do right now, I take full responsibility. Not my parents, not my friends, but ME.



Being in control of your life is kind of fun but kind of scary too. I guess that's the beauty of it.


Those are just my perceptions and ideas of being 24. Might not apply to everyone but just thought I'd share it :)





Thank you for reading X