expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Wednesday 16 June 2021

Do You Like Who You're Becoming?

 "Change is the only constant in life" - a very famous philosopher (Greek, if I'm not mistaken)


I think this philosopher was going somewhere with this. He/She is right. Change happens all around us, all the time. Weather, culture, job, relationship... even we change! Our worldview changes, hobbies, partners, and even our bodies. 


As we are at the half-year mark of 2021 (I know. I can't believe it either), I can't help but wonder what I've achieved for the past 6 months and what I would like to accomplish before the year ends. Sometimes, it is helpful to stop and evaluate and see which direction we are heading. And so, with that in mind, I have a question for you today (and for myself too, if I'm being completely honest) :


Do you like the person you are becoming? 


Because there are 3 possible outcomes to change:

1) it is getting better

2) it is getting worse

3) or the change is neutral 


So, we are either becoming more like the people we want to be, or less. Because if we are moving further and further from the person we want to be, it is wise to notice that as soon as possible so that some corrections can be made.


Of course, this isn't always an easy question to answer. In most cases, it's not as simple as a "yes" or "no". We may look at our trajectory and be proud of some of the changes, but regret others. There's always going to be pros and cons. 


*We may be excelling at work but becoming more demanding and less kind along the way. 

*We may be losing weight but becoming more proud and vain on appearances.


When put in such scenario, when it comes down to the heart of the matter, do I like the person I am becoming? 


I have been reflecting lately, and here's what I have learned: 

1) If you are not happy with the person you are becoming, you can always change. NOBODY can ever take away your right to change. Positive change is ALWAYS possible because YOU are the only person who gets to decide who you are going to become. 


2) It is never too late to change. Sure, the best time for a positive change may have been yesterday or ten years ago, but the second best time is right now. If you're still living, you've got time to change. No matter how much time we have left, we can always set an example. 


3) People are remembered most for who they were, not what they accomplished. If the accomplishment you are trying to pursue is resulting in negative changes, remind yourself that who you are is more important. The people who know you best will always remember you for your values and character more than your personal achievements. 


So, with that said, may we all be changing for the better. 



No comments:

Post a Comment